Depression is a neurological disorder caused due to mental state of despair and sadness. When a person is too overcome with negative emotions, it becomes difficult to focus on any other thing. The person may become lethargic and lose interest in what is happening on around them. Depression is very common and it affects almost every one in eight people in their teen years. Sadness is a part of being human, a natural reaction to painful situations. Everyone experiences sadness at some point in their lives. Depression, though, is a physical illness with many more symptoms than a gloomy mood. Depression affects people of every color, race, economic status, or age.
1. Dietary Treatments for Depression
For people suffering from depression a heavy food is not advised. The person must not overeat. Hot, spicy and pungent food must be avoided as these will worsen the senses further. Fluids and fresh vegetables in salads must become a vital part of every meal. The person can have cool sherbets like rose sherbet in the middle of the day, mainly in the afternoons and when the evening is beginning. To stimulate the brain, tea and coffee may be taken occasionally.
Depression also cause people to lose their appetite and desire to eat. For such people, food must not be forced, as it could lead to vomiting. When such apathy in food occurs, fruits can be consumed. A diet rich in fruits is beneficial for treatment of depression.
2. Symptoms Of Depression
• Low self Esteem
• Emptiness in oneself
• Feeling of guilt and worthlessness
• Social withdrawal and agitation
• Difficulty in concentration and taking decisions
• Suicidal thoughts
• Sleeping too less(insomnia) or too much (hypersomnia)
Yoga and meditation: You can do comfortable Yogasanas and Anuloma-viloma pranayama regularly. You can try to focus on your professional work where you can diverge or avoid mood swings. Long term medication of depression may lead to side effects which you are facing already. Ayurvedic medicines for depression may help to relieve from depression such as Divya Ashwagandha Churna.
4. Home Remedies To Fight Stress/Depression
• Do a good head massage with cooling oil like brahmi oil.
• Try eating an apple with milk and honey. This helps in improving the mood.
• Improve the regimen of your day by starting with yoga in the morning and then listening to good soothing music.
• Focus your mind in other hobbies and activities in order to keep the thoughts causing depression away.
• Simple lemon juice prepared from the extract of one lemon in a glass of water, sweetened with sugar is also good. It releases stress-removing hormones and brings the mind at ease.